August 15, 2019
If you’re like most people, you’re always looking for ways to save time, simplify your schedule, and keep your appointments to a minimum. Unfortunately, traditional dental crowns make it hard to do that because they require multiple appointments. However, with a CEREC same-day crown in Lacey, you can get a strong, beautiful dental crown without the hassle of two visits. Keep reading to find out how a same-day crown works and why it benefits you in more ways than one!
What Is the Procedure Like?
To repair a cavity or fracture, a dental crown fits over an entire tooth to restore its shape, size, function and appearance. But, whereas a traditional crown is made in a separate dental lab (which takes 1-2 weeks), your dentist makes a CEREC same-day crown in their office while you wait. The entire appointment usually takes about two hours. Here’s how it works:
- Just like a regular dental crown procedure, a dentist will start by numbing and prepping your tooth. This involves removing any damaged tooth structure and also reducing it in size to create room for the new crown.
- Then impressions are taken. But with a same-day crown, your teeth will be digitally scanned instead of having uncomfortable putty put in your mouth.
- The digital impressions are then loaded into the computer, which will design your crown to fit perfectly.
- Next, the CEREC machine will create your crown out of strong, durable ceramic that’s been matched to the color of your existing smile.
- Finally, your new crown will be cemented into place.
The Advantages of Same-Day Crowns
While the biggest advantage of CEREC in Lacey is the convenience of getting a crown in just one day, there are multiple other benefits as well:
- Ceramic is not only strong but also looks great as well, so you won’t have to worry about any metal showing when you smile or laugh.
- With a traditional procedure, you would normally have to wear a temporary crown for 1-2 weeks while the lab makes the permanent restoration. Unfortunately, temporaries can easily break or fall off, which then requires yet another visit to repair. With a same-day crown, you can completely avoid this risk.
- Digital impressions are not only more precise, but much more comfortable and less messy, too.
- In some cases, numbing is required at the second visit before the permanent crown is cemented into place. With CEREC, one appointment means just one injection.
- CEREC crowns have the same long-term success rate as traditional and will last many years with basic care.
- They’re also around the same price as traditional crowns.
CEREC technology has changed dental crowns for the better. And with all the advantages it offers, it’s no surprise that it’s so popular with patients and dentists alike!
About the Author
Dr. Venn Peterson has almost 20 years of experience as a general, restorative, and cosmetic dentist in Lacey, and is a graduate of the University of Washington School of Dentistry. He’s been thrilled to offer his patients CEREC same-day crowns because it gives them quality and convenience at the same time. If you have any questions, you can reach Dr. Peterson via his website.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.